Kirstin's World

Monday, May 01, 2006

I'm Free!!!!

I finally finished all school related shit today. I handed in that paper for Classics 354. I feel so much better even though I am brain dead. I totally needed to have school end. That paper was one of the hardest I had written just because I was so burnt out.

It was a really interesting topic, though. It was on Roman sexualities. I learned a lot about it and learned that it is way more interesting than what I thought. Usually people think of ancient Greek sexuality as more interesting and multifaceted but the Romans were so rigid and hierarchical, and their social system (and even their political system) was heavily reliant on how their sexuality was constructed. It all revolved around the status of the Roman male citizen (singular - vir; plural - viri). He asserted his dominance and status over others by sexual penetration. He could acceptably penetrated all other non- viri: women (not other vir's wives), slaves, non-citizen male youth (though this changed around 100 BC), foreigners, and non-citizen males. I find it incredibly fascinating that social hierarchy revolved so much around the idea of sexual penetration. It is so very different from our construction of sexuality, which is very much focused on the gender of the sexual partner. Romans really didn't care about the gender.

Anyway, I need to stop talking about this topic. I've been eating, living, writing, reading, and even dreaming about it! It's done! Whoohooo - and I'll get my marks back on friday, hopefully.

It was so relaxing to be able to walk down Whyte ave and see all the pre-hockey craziness without an iota of guilt! I had nothing to do, and I did alot of nothing! I took myself out to a fabulous coffee shop/cafe place called Block 1912. I had a super-yummy turkish coffee and read my fun-book! What a novel concept! Then I went to Tessa's work and browsed the bookshelves - which is highly illegal for me without supervision, but I managed to not buy a book! I'm getting better! It was fabulous!

Tomorrow morning I start work and I'm pretty excited! I love the people there and I can't wait to be a summer student there and not have to worry about having to think too very much. Last time I worked there I was the psychology co-op student and I had a pretty mentally challenging job. This is going to be a bit of an adjustment! I'll let you know how it went tomorrow after work!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home