Kirstin's World

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Tattoo Number 2

Ok, so to update you all, I got my first tattoo when I was 17, at Bear Skins Art. It is the Japanese character for 'death.' I love it and I finally got enough money to get a second one, thanks to the Klein government!

I decided on 'death' of all things because we are all mortal. That may not be the most uplifting news ever, but it's true. I believe that North American society is way too in denial about this, and so this is one way for me to remind myself of my mortality. I have been intruiged by death, society's reaction to it, and people's reaction to it since I was a toddler so I thought it was the most appropriate tattoo for me to get. I also couldn't get something 'girly' or 'cliche' like a flower, etc... (the list goes on for ever!). Sorry to all you who may have a tattoo in this category!

The process of getting my first tattoo was quite extensive. I was only 17 (underage by 1 year) and so Mum had to come along to sign for it. That was no problem on her part, she totally supported me (and continues to support me in this!). Bear, on the other hand, wanted to make sure that this wasn't some teenage rebellion things. Both Mum and I argued vehemently with him for almost 6 months! Then, after we sorted out that issue, he had to make sure that I really wanted it on my arm (I love tattooing my arms, and plan to be reincarnated in my next life as a super-huge buff guy with massive arms). We again argued about this for quite a while. He was concerned that it would be too visible, but I'm always cold and so people rarely see it! I ended up plastering my house with the image of my tattoo around 6 months. There were little ones, big ones, and medium ones everywhere in the house, all over my locker, and all of my binders! I got it, though, and it kicks ass!

I've been eyeing this quote from Plato's Apology since grade 11 or so. I finally decided to get this quote in particular, and so now I'm doing it! Yeah! I won't post the quote up until I've got my tattoo, but it continues the death theme, which I love. I'm also going to get it on an arm, this time, it'll cover most of my right upper arm! It'll be ancient Greek text on a tablet, wrapped around my arm!

Mum, Ben and I went to check out the artwork that Bear drew, yesterday. It kicked ass! It was exactly as I was picturing it! I can not wait to get it and have been obsessing about it daily! I'm trying not to wish my summer away, but I can't wait till mid july!

Also, it's going to hurt like a bitch, but at least I know what that feels like now!

TTFN!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home