Kirstin's World

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Famous Puppet Death Scenes

I just got back from the most amazing, macabre, moving, and entertaining play I've ever been to (mind you, I don't really go to a lot of plays). It was called Famous Puppet Death Scenes by the Old Trout Puppet Workshop at the Catalyst Theatre and it was really thought provoking.

My description will not do it justice, but unfortunately it's sold out and it only runs till this Sunday. The play consisted of 24 death scenes from fictional plays. Between some of the episodes a little naked old-man puppet (Nathaniel Tweak" would come out and narrate. His narrations were not directly about the next group of scenes, but were indirectly related. At one point he was talking about being lonely and the next scene was "The Last Whale" by Grover Bailiwick; this lonely scene was of a huge whale-eye that you saw between the curtains, it blinked once. It was probably the loneliest scene and Tessa found that it effected her the most.

I thought the play was sad, but I get really attached to inanimate objects that are human-like. I'm weird that way! I like the fact that the players used this medium to talk about death. I think our society/culture need more of these discussions, but I can be morbid sometimes. If it is ever running near you, or anything by this theatre company is, and you get a chance to see it go (but buy tickets in advance)! It's definately worth it and it is so well done.

The puppets were beautiful. Some were super funny, like these little triangle-shaped puppets (Bipsy and Mumu), and some were movingly beautiful like this tree-person in The Ballad of Edward Grue. Ahhhh....it's left me in a melancholy and small kind of mood...

...but I'd better do some homework today...

Anyway, I posted the link to the production company on the side because I'm not quite good enough to integrate it into the text yet! That'll be a project for another day.

TTFN!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home