Kirstin's World

Monday, October 23, 2006

Killswitch Engage and Latin

So, Killswitch Engage is coming to Edmonton on November 28th at the "Edmonton Events Centre" (which was Red's). Unfortunately, my taste in music is slightly different from most of my friends, and Ben's in Quebec - boo, no one to go to all the good concerts with! It's only $30 and I'm thinking of going - by myself *gasp*. It won't be as fun, but Killswitch Engage kicks so much ass that I'm thinking of doing it. I might canvas around and see if anyone's interested (if you are, email me!) but if not, then it'll be a Kirstin's night out! Hmmm...decisions, decisions...

In other news, the Latin quiz that I wrote Friday which I thought I failed - I didn't. I got 82% which is 1% below class average - I can handle that! Though I don't know how I can feel so stupid in this class, but be getting these sorts of marks. It doesn't make sense. Usually when you are struggling in a class (mind you, I think the whole class is struggling) you don't pull off marks between 80% - 90%. Weird, and I'm definitely not complaining, but it's just weird. This class is way too stressful! It's reducing my lifespan and pretty much every day that I do Latin (especially now, when we're translating Cicero - he's impossible) I ask why in god's name I'm taking this class! It's torture! Greek, on the other hand is easy, which seems really illogical. They use a completely different alphabet and it has a very similar structure to Latin, but it's easy and blindingly obvious. Weird... It's good for my mark but it's weird! I'm thinking that I'll concentrate more on Greek if it always seems so obvious to me! I had my Greek midterm this morning and the only vocabulary word that I didn't know came from a chapter that we haven't covered yet! I'm going to ask the prof about that one.

In Ben's world - he's passed his week long exam thingy! This next week is just administrative stuff before he starts the next course as well as a few classes and stuff like that. Hopefully this week will be way more relaxing than it's been so far. It would be nice for him to recover for a few days, and try to kick that cold that he's had for ever.

I almost forgot! I started applying to Grad Schools on Friday! It's really exciting and much less scary once you start. I'm actively applying for U of Western Ontario, U of Toronto, U of Calgary and McMaster U. All but one school hasn't opened their application process for Classics students yet. Grrr... I emailed all of them, asking questions, etc... so hopefully this process will go relatively smoothly.

This weekend I (finally) watched HBO's Rome series. I only finished the first 5 episodes, but I'm going to watch all of them soon! It was really good and I just found out today that they are filming Season 2 which is about Augustus (Young Octavian in the first Season). That's super cool because Caesar is interesting, but Augustus and Augustan Rome was something else entirely! I'm excited and you all should definitely see it!

Until next time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home