Kirstin's World

Monday, September 18, 2006

School's going at full tilt.

School is crazy! I can't believe how much studying I do for 3 classes. I would hate to have 5 classes when 2 of them are languages. It would be almost impossible - or at least I would be really frazzled. I've been studying Latin (and a bit of Greek) for hours on end. It's insane. I think I'm doing so much because I'm scared to death of my class - I feel that if I don't study a lot, then I will never catch up. I's probably not true but, it's good motivation for me. It's put the fear of God in me!

So, on saturday I studied Latin ALL DAY, then watched 2 movies: Tristan & Isolde and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds. They were both good but Tristan & Isolde was really sad - it's like a super depressing version of Romeo & Juliet. I highly recommend it, but make sure you have a box of kleenex with you. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds is a great animated movie by the same guy who did Porco Rosso (awesome movie), and Howl's Moving Castle. I love his movies - entertaining, thought provoking, and with amazing stories. I cried alot watching those 2 movies.

Sunday started off with my favorite show - CBC Sunday Morning! Yeah for being able to watch it! Then I got ready to see Phantom of the Opera! Mum got 4 tickets for Grandma's birthday (on the 27th of September). I remember the first time the show came through Edmonton - our family had a choice between getting Emma (our dog) or going to see the show. We wisely chose Emma - she was an amazing dog. It was cool to finally see it though. The Northen Jubilee Auditorium was renovated and it looks beautiful now. The only frusterating part of the afternoon was that Ben texted me around 1 pm letting me know that he had access to his phone for 3 hours - the only three hours that I was busy the whole weekend. GRRRR - Murphy's Law Strikes Again. So, the show was awesome - it was a huge production. I can't imagine trying to do that more than 7 days a week. It would be exhausting. There were innumerable costume changes, and it lasted for 3 hours. It seemed to fly by in like 1/2 hour, but it was a really long show. I totally recommend going to see it (obviously). The singing was astounding.

After the show, we went to Yianni's Taverna on Whyte Ave for some tasty Greek food. Yum. It was awesome, of course, and we all ate too much, of course! It was an awesome way to end the afternoon. Once I got home, I phoned Ben, but we were only able to talk for 10 minutes. It was just before his bedtime and he had lots of stuff to get ready. I found a few recent things from Ben - he went to the Royal War Museum in Ottawa this last weekend as part of their training and he thought it was very interesting. This weekend he's going to Vermont to do some sort of training class with the US armed forces that the Canadians aren't offering for a while. That should be interesting and the crazy part is that Vermont is only 40 minutes away while Ottawa was 2 hours away! It seems like Vermont should be farther away!

Today I also got a call from Ben! He was phoning me from the payphone on base. That made my week! I totally wasn't expecting it. Everything's going well for him, and he's hoping to get a new pair of boots sometime this week because his current ones really hurt his feet. Hopefully he'll get his phone back this week and he'll be able to phone me again! I can't wait to hear how this last week was for him!

I survived my first Latin quiz today. I nearly died of stress before, but it seemed to go well - I know I made a few mistakes but I think I did ok. I'll find out on Wednesday! In other news, my current mark in Greek is 100%! Awesome! I hope I can keep this up!

I'm trying to post a new picture of Ben and a few pictures of Jen, Stacey and Mark 2 weekends ago at O'Byrnes. I'll try to get them up soon.

TTFN!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home